The Chameleon Approach to Body Therapies.
The EMMETT Technique is an amazingly gentle, safe and simple to apply muscle release therapy. It is used to address pain and discomfort, improve body movement, restore a positive emotional state and improve the quality of life.
The EMMETT Technique was formally launched in 1999 and expanded internationally in 2007.
This internationally recognised technique developed by Ross Emmett and taught in over 26 countries worldwide is equally effective on both people and animals.
How it Works
The EMMETT Technique is an understanding of the body’s response to light touch. It involves the application of light finger pressure at specific points, referred to as “Emmett points”. The points are not the same as traditional trigger points or acupressure points or any other points described in any other therapy.
It has been advocated that the body reacts in a similar way to the workings of a touch-screen. Small sensors allow access to the brain via the therapists’ touch.
It is suggested that the EMMETT Technique may interact with the body as described in the science of Critical Point Analysis which identifies that...
- “In any highly complex system there is a specific, critical point at which the smallest input will result in the greatest change”
- For example a light touch on a small cog can halt the largest engine.
- The EMMETT Technique Therapist can be compared to a body electrician who has the knowledge to locate these critical points and re-set them with the correct stimulation.
- The stimulation is registered by the receiver’s nervous system and their brain responds by sending new instructions back to affect the physical state of the localized area.
- The result is often instantaneous physical change.
- Special language skills are incorporated to reinforce and anchor the positive physical changes greatly enhancing the outcome.
The pressure required to stimulate the EMMETT points does not need to be firm or painful. “No pain no gain” has no place in EMMETT Technique philosophy.
As well as the ability to directly influence muscle action, these points may have a memory and emotional attachment.
The EMMETT Therapist is skilled in the art of applying:
- the right amount of pressure
- in the right direction
- for the right amount of time
It is this combination of elements, unique to each individual, which creates the desired physical change.
Although often combined with other techniques, the EMMETT Technique is an efficient and effective therapy on its own.
What does an EMMETT treatment involve?
- Clients can be treated seated, standing or lying down.
- It can be a standalone treatment or combined with other techniques.
- The treatment can be applied directly to the skin or done through clothing.
- Sessions can last anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes if the EMMETT Technique is used alone – longer if combined with a relaxing massage or other modality.